Kristianstad was founded on 22 May 1614 by the Danish King Christian IV. At the Treaty of Roskilde in 1658, Skåne – and, as a result, Kristianstad – was handed over to Sweden.
A magnificent memorial from the time of the Danish king is Trefaldighetskyrkan (the Church of the Holy Trinity). Built in 1617–1628, it has been called “the finest Renaissance temple in the Nordic region”. Christian IV’s coat of arms – the C4 symbol – is still used in many different contexts to represent Kristianstad.
The streets in the old fortress town still follow the original seventeenth-century layout, and the city is thus distinguished by a compact central core containing a large number of cultural treasures. The moats and other fortifications from the Danish period have long since vanished. Many of the moats gradually became tree-lined boulevards, while the surrounding marshes were drained and used as building plots.
For more information about the history of the municipality, visit our tourist page.
Senast ändrad: 2013-12-05
Information om hemsidan och kontakt:
Kristianstads kommun | 291 80 Kristianstad | 044–135000 | Organisationsnr. 212000–0951Ansvarig utgivare Informationschef Eva Mårtensson | E-post: firstname.lastname@example.org | Kontakt | Om webbplatsen